Monday, June 24, 2013

the kampala diaries: day 2, guten morgen from the sister missionaries.


After touching down in Amsterdam (seriously, I was in love with all of the arial views we got of the city. It was gorgeous!), we had a really great moment with these guys on the plane. And by great, I mean totally priceless. We were both exhausted at this point, because not only were we off by about 7 or 8 hours, we had both stayed up all night… if you can call it that, and were worried about missing our next 9 hour flight to Kigali. 



What I’m forgetting to tell you is that Amy and I were both wearing dresses yesterday. Not because we planned it, but it just happened.

The rich moment came when the two guys about our age started talking to us about our final destination, saw us both in dresses, and here’s what ensued:

Mississippi Boy, hereafter known as (MB): Are you missionaries?

Me: No, we’re going to do research with a professor, but I guess what we’re doing is a different kind of mission.”

MB: Like a mission for science. (Not exactly what I was thinking, but whatever).

Me: started small talk about where he goes to school.

MB: where do you attend school?

Me: Brigham Young in Utah

MB: Oh, I mean, it’s okay. It’s not like you’re X-Men or anything. I have Mormon friends.

Me: Trying to process.

Amy: Trying to make her dress look less missionary-esque.

Small talk about Mitt Romney and then end conversation. The rest of the time in the airport was spent discussing the fact that we just looked the part, so there was no hiding it. But hey, a chance to answer questions about the church? I’ll take it! Although, funny enough, we did see a real Elder in the airport. The church makes the world a smaller place!

Amsterdam Airport: Everybody kept telling us good morning. Again, not feeling good or morning. At this point, Amy and I begin slurring sentences, dazing off into space, and collapsing on each other’s backpacks while we waited in line.

AMS to Rwanda: SLEPT. FINALLY. And almost missed lunch because of it. If it weren’t for the nicest flight attendant ever, I would have missed out on the divinity that was éclairs and pudding in a cup (I’m not even kidding about this). Looked out over Naples and thought of my dad. Slept and watched Les Miserables (love this one) and part of Lincoln (thought of Moyes :) ). Looked out over the desert in Sudan and filled out our entrance forms into Uganda. We’re so close!

P.s. Remember the really nice flight attendant? Once we touched down in Entebbe, she wished us luck, and asked us if we were missionaries. When we told her that we weren't, she said that she had noticed us reading the Bible and that she attends church too. I thought about inviting her, and probably should have, but she said, "Some people's services are so long- like, 3 hours!" haha

No comments:

Post a Comment